Lady Jane Productions
Living History Events
Greetings, Living Historians!
2021 Summer Promenade & Picnic
Sunday, August 29, 2021
1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Assiniboine Park English Garden; Winnipeg, MB
Free, all ages event
Indulge in Lady Jane’s annual Summer Promenade & Picnic…
– Regency Era “Walking Dress” enthusiastically encouraged
– Alternate dress: Summer Garden Party attire (light, comfortable clothing)
– Bring your own picnic and blanket
– Wear shoes suitable for walking on grass and bring sun protection
– Bring only what you can comfortably carry
– All ages event; Free!
We will walk through the English Garden and Leo Mol Sculpture Garden and then select a picnic site according to the size of our group. We will then enjoy a picnic gathering in this beautiful public green space.
- What is it?
- A social stroll through the English Garden and Leo Mol Sculpture Garden, and a socially-distanced picnic in the shade.
- What do you suggest we bring?:
- Travel very, very, very light
- a cool drink in a personal container
- a small snack for yourself (individual portions)
- an umbrella or parasol
- a hat or bonnet (be sure to wear sunscreen!)
- fabric gloves… always a nice touch for one’s summer wardrobe
- a small blanket or portable chair; N.B. there are many benches in the gardens
- What shall we wear?:
- Regency Era (c. 1800-1815)
- Summer Garden Party attire (light, dressy-casual summer clothing)
- Sensible footwear for standing and walking on grass and uneven terrain
- Where shall we meet?:
- Rendezvous at the entrance of the English Gardens at 1:00 p.m. (By the “Boy with the Boot”)
- What Covid-19 precautions shall we observe?:
- Proof of vaccinations
- Bring a mask
- Social distancing
- Bring a personal snack and beverage only for yourself (or your own family) — no sharing with others.
- What if it rains?:
- We shall endeavour to proceed unless it is stormy
- The current weather forecast will be closely watched
- We will reschedule to the following weekend in case of rain
- What if we have questions?:
Photo credit: Lady Jane Productions
The Pride & Prejudice Ball Winnipeg: February 12, 2022
*New for this event: an optional pre-ball dinner!
The Fort Garry Hotel (Concert Ballroom); Winnipeg, MB
Click HERE for tickets!
*Proof of Covid-19 vaccinations required for entry.
Delight and enthral your senses with the clothing, dancing, music, drink, and food of Regency England c. 1815.
Treat your sweetheart to a unique and special social experience!
– Four classes ahead of the ball to learn the dances
– Romantic light dinner to start the evening
– Guided dancing with a live chamber ensemble
– Hors d’ouvres and punch
– Professional photography
Photo credits: Trish Palud Photography, Erin Leslie Photography (bottom right)
Lady Jane Productions FAQ:
What is English Country Dance?
How do I dress for a Regency Event?
You may also just keep it simple!!!
For Ladies, the bare minimum is a full-length gown in a soft fabric with covered shoulders. An empire waist is preferable but not mandatory. Flat shoes, please. Ladies are also welcome to wear regional / cultural formal dress appropriate to the early 19th century.
Gentlemen are asked to wear, at minimum, a suit or tuxedo worn with Oxford style dress shoes. A Regency-era ensemble of fall-front breeches, waistcoat, chemise, cravat, and Georgian frock coat is certainly encouraged, but not necessary. Gentlemen are also welcome to wear historical military attire, or other regional cultural dress appropriate to the early 19th century. This would include traditional Scottish attire (ex. Kilts + Prince Charlie), or any other formal cultural dress from the period.
Guests may dress in whichever gendered dress makes them feel most comfortable.
Please be sure to check back to see what new events are in production and underway. For more information, please check the event listing or the about page.
Use the Hashtag #LiveInHistory when posting on Social Media!