This event has taken place annually in August of 2018, 2019, and 2020 (to the delight of all…both participants and spectators.)
Due to restrictions surrounding COVID-19, the 2020 event was modified to a Promenade through the Assiniboine Park English Garden and mini-picnic.
Details from the 2020 Promenade:
Assiniboine Park English Garden; Winnipeg, MB
- What was this event?
- A social stroll through the English Garden and Leo Mol Sculpture Garden, and a socially-distanced rest in the shade.
- What do you suggest we bring?:
- Travel very, very, very light
- a cool drink in a personal container
- a small snack for yourself (individual portions)
- an umbrella or parasol
- a hat or bonnet (be sure to wear sunscreen!)
- fabric gloves… always a nice touch in one’s summer wardrobe
- a small blanket or portable chair; N.B. there are many benches in the gardens
- What shall we wear?:
- Regency Era (c. 1800-1815) or Summer Garden Party attire
- Sensible footwear for standing and walking on grass and uneven terrain
- Where shall we meet?:
- Rendezvous at the entrance of the English Gardens at 1:00 p.m. (By the “Boy with the Boot” fountain)
- What Covid-19 precautions shall we observe?:
- Mask wearing
- Social distancing at all times during the promenade
- Bring a personal snack and beverage only for yourself (or your own family) — no sharing with others this year.
- What if it rains?:
- We shall endeavour to proceed unless it is stormy
- We will reschedule to the following weekend in case of rain
- What if we have questions?:
General details from past events:
1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Assiniboine Park; Site 18
Dress in Regency Era attire (c. 1800-1820), or Summer Garden Party attire.
We will play lawn games such as croquet and lawn bowling. Feel free to bring a set if you have one!
Please bring a packed picnic and seating (blanket or lawnchair) that you (or your trusty helper) can carry or pull in a wagon. This is a glass and alcohol-free event.
A professional photographer will be on hand to capture the beauty of this experience.
This event is FREE and open to all ages. A voluntary donation of $5-10 is suggested to help cover the cost of the site reservation and photography.
See the Dressing for the Promenade page for more info on promenade attire.
For more information, please email Lady Jane.
Below are pictures from a past LJP Summer Promenade & Picnic events held at the St. Albert Botanic Park and Edmonton, AB:
The 2017 Pride & Prejudice Summer Promenade & Picnic
Edmonton, Alberta Legislative Building grounds
(Photo credit: Nanc Price Photography)
Our photographer, Nanc Price, did a phenomenal job of capturing the beauty and joy of the day, as well as the wonderful expressions on the faces of the people that we met in the garden, who were also enjoying a picnic in the park.
Here are a few more pictures from photographer extraordinaire Nanc Price’s site.
Photo credit: Nanc Price Photography